** DRAFT **
BAD AXE CHAPTER – WWOA
Board of Directors Meeting, September 28, 2013
Chapter President Gary Rieniets called the Bad Axe Board of Directors (BOD) meeting to order at 9:30 am, September 28, 2013, at the Country Kitchen, Richland Center, Wisconsin. Board members present: Gary Rieniets, Paul Niederberger, Mike Nigl, Dave Weigandt, Brent McCowen, Roger Szudera.
Review of Previous Minutes
The Board reviewed and approved the minutes from the August 10, 2013 meeting.
- The Treasurer’s Financial Report was presented, seconded and approved.
- Membership is now equal to the number from last year at this time.
- Gary will be attending the Walnut Council meeting on October 5th in Viroqua.
- Gary reported that Nancy from WWOA has posted the cancellation of the October 19 Bad Axe Chapter field day on the WWOA website. Nancy also agreed that the Bad Axe membership list is for Board member usage only. Gary attended the paper mill, museum, & nursery tours at the WWOA conference. Dave Weigandt attended the cranberry tour.
- Gary reported that the annual WWOA conference in Wisconsin Rapids earlier this month & that attendance was reported at 220 attendees.
- Gary presented a copy of a letter requesting the Bad Axe Chapter concurrence in support of a grant by the American Forest Foundation for a project to build sustainable landscapes of private ownership which was approved by the board.
- Gary’s next WWOA Chapter President meeting is October 12 in Stevens Point.
October 19 Fall Field Day
- Due to Mike Nigl’s unexpected health issues, the Oct 19 field day is canceled. Paul will send out cancellation notifications to all members who have email addresses. Gary will prepare a Robo call cancellation notice to all members without an email address. The Nigl property field day is tentatively rescheduled for the fall of 2014.
- With limited time available to replace the scheduled fall field day, Gary led the discussion of other possible winter/spring field day options including:
- Joining the neighboring Blackhawk chapter in a field day in celebration of Joe Arington being named American Tree Farmer of the year;
- Field day at the State Natural area south of Mt Ida to learn more about invasive species ratification methods available through the Driftless Land Specialists at Bagley, WI - Roger will contact & gather more info as to the availability of Jesse at Driftless Land;
- Observing active winter timber harvesting methods/processes – Gary will check with Jake Elder for possibilities – Roger is anticipating a winter 2013 timber harvest;
- Work with Nancy from WWOA on the possibility of hosting a learning session in the southern part of Wisconsin similar to the estate planning session presented in Wausau in October, 2013;
- Nigl property summer pot luck;
- A Walnut Council/Bad Axe Chapter field day activity.
The Next BOD Meeting will be Saturday, November 9, 2013, 9:30 a.m., at the Country Kitchen in Richland Center.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:30 a.m.
(These minutes were prepared by Roger Szudera and submitted by Chapter Secretary Cecil Richardson, who was absent from the September 28, 2013 meeting.)