//D R A F T//
BAD AXE CHAPTER – WWOA
Board of Directors Meeting, August 10, 2013
Chapter President Gary Rieniets called the Bad Axe Board of Directors (BOD) meeting to order at 9:30 am, August 10, 2013, at the Country Kitchen, Richland Center, Wisconsin.
Review of Previous Minutes
The Board reviewed and approved the minutes from the July 13, 2013 meeting.
- The Treasurer’s Financial Report was presented, seconded and approved.
- Membership is now 142, down one from last year.
- Jake Elder is applying for a different job with the DNR.
- The Walnut Council invited us to join them for a field day on October 5th at the Roger Clouser Field in Viroqua. Gary will respond that we can’t support them financially, but we are willing to help in other ways. Gary will also find out if the Walnut Council represents the entire state or just one region.
- Gary reported that Nancy from WWOA has briefed him on changes in the MFL. Taxes will go up another 35% for those who signed up for MFL after 2004. They are also increasing the penalty for those leaving MFL early.
- Joe Arington has been named the National Tree Farmer of the Year.
- Gary’s next WWOA meeting is October 12 at Steven’s Point.
Reports from other Directors
- The following is in response to questions submitted by Paul Niederberger, Director of Member Communications, who could not make the meeting:
- For the Newsletter:
- Date of next newsletter? SEPTEMBER 8
- Profile – ROGER HAS ALREADY PREPARED ONE
- Recap of our Annual Meeting – ONE HAS ALREADY BEEN PREPARED. CECIL CAN PROVIDE SUPPLEMENTAL INFORMATION AND/OR EDITS IF NEEDED.
- List of New Members – DAVE HAS PROVIDED THE LIST TO PAUL.
- Top Knot – GARY WILL PREPARE.
- Write-up on next field day – MIKE WILL PREPARE.
- Woodland Tip – MIKE WILL PREPARE A WOODLAND TIP ON THE NEED TO DO PRE-EMERGENCE IN THE FALL FOR A SPRING PLANTING.
Discussion on the Fall Field Day
- The field day will be Saturday, October 19, at the Nigl farm, 18526 Marshall Road, Richland Center. (From Richland Center, take Highway 80 North to Route 56. Turn left on 56 to Gillingham, then left on County Highway Z. Turn right on Marshall Road, the first road on the right. The Nigl farm is about 1½ miles on the right.
- Registration will begin at 8:30 a.m. Field Day events will begin at 9:30. Directors are asked to be there by 8.
- We will begin with a 45-minute discussion led by Mike. Attendees will then be divided into four groups (led by Mike, Rudy, Dave and Brent) and shown four areas logged in different years – 1978, early 1990s, 2001 and 2005. The emphasis will be on appearance of the logged areas at various lengths of time following the logging, tree/plant regeneration, and how to save the young timber from the negative effects of a logging.
- Bring a lunch and be prepared to walk 2½ to 3 miles.
The Next BOD Meeting will be Saturday, September 28, 2013, 9:30 a.m., at the Nigl Farm.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:30 a.m.
CECIL R. RICHARDSON